The bedrock of all the advice we offer on this podcast is, “Know what’s important to you.” In this episode, Janine and Shannon discuss how to get in touch with your values so that you can more easily embrace good enough.
Discussion topics include:
- The importance of knowing your core values
- Evaluating what’s important to you
- The secret sauce of the process: Repeating the question “What else?”
- Using your core values to help you decide what good enough means to you
- Trying a Word of the Year exercise
- How getting clear on your why makes everything easier
- Getting in touch with your body’s “yes” and “no” signals
- Shannon’s “Boring Change” technique for making ridiculously easy changes
- Boring Change, the kit Shannon created to help you change your life without even trying
- Christine Kane’s Word of the Year discovery tool
2 thoughts on “Episode 21: Know Your Why”
My mother passed away five years ago next month. After a few months of grief work, I decided that I needed to change the theme of my life. Having been her live-in caregiver for the past 11 years, the theme of my life had been Devotion. I told my friend that the new theme of my life was Passion. Six months later, I sat down on a bench at our performing arts center before the musical “Once,” and the man next to me struck up a conversation. We ended up making plans to see each other again and he became the love of my life. We were together just under four years before what evolved into a long-distance relationship became too difficult. We have transitioned now from a deep, romantic love to an abiding, platonic love. Now I’m searching for a new theme. I look forward to checking out the Word-of-the-Year’s free tool. I can’t wait to find out what that new word will be!