We all have superpowers and kryptonite. (You might call them strengths and weaknesses.) In this episode, Shannon and Janine discuss how the things that you struggle with can also be your superpowers and how your superpowers gone too far can turn into your kryptonite.
Discussion topics include:
- How personality traits can be on a continuum
- Case in point: perfectionism can be paralyzing but it can also help you do things well
- Similarly, a good-enough mentality may make life easier but it may also promote mistakes
- Looking at things that are challenges for you to see what strengths you can find in them.
- Ask yourself: What do you have to be good at to have the challenges you’re having? And how can you apply that information to help you get past the challenge?
- The inspiration for this episode: The CliftonStrengths Assessment
- Shannon’s top strengths from the CliftonStrengths Assessment and how they reveal her superpowers and kryptonite (spoiler alert: perfectionism is part of it)
- The good news: How you are isn’t good or bad; you may just be able to shift the needle a little bit on the continuum
- A great exercise: Take a look at the things you struggle with and consider what you need to be good at to do those things. Then use those superpowers in other areas of your life so they feel beneficial.
- Recognizing that the things you are good can have negative effects if taken too far
- A side note: We’re resurrecting Declutter Happy Hour in February! Stay tuned.
- The CliftonStrengths Assessment (Shannon and Janine both took the CliftonStrengths 34)