This week Janine and Shannon sit down with Geralin Thomas of Metropolitan Organizing in Cary, N.C., a rock star in the organizing world. She’s not only famous for many appearances on the Hoarders tv show, she’s known for her generosity in sharing her business acumen with other organizers (including Janine).
Geralin is a business coach for entrepreneurs, particularly professional organizers, and in this episode we talk with Geralin about the challenges people face when starting a business. And, yes, perfectionism can be one of those challenges!
Be prepared for a lot of laughter.
Discussion topics include:
- How perfectionism can show up when starting a business
- The perfectionism/procrastination relationship
- Geralin’s emphasis in branding and marketing with her coaching clients
- How what you say, how you say it and your processes are all part of your branding
- How people can get perfectionistic about branding
- Geralin’s advice on how to pay attention to details without getting mired in them (hint: Know thyself)
- Having a specific—and consistent—point of view in your branding
- The importance of being authentic in branding and marketing
- Advice for starting points at the very beginning of a business
- Some thoughts on choosing a business name
- The things we’ve regretted in our businesses
- The prospects of drinking alcohol while recording (or listening to) the podcast
- Geralin’s favorite Getting to Good Enough moment
- Geralin’s website, Metropolitan Organizing
- Geralin’s first book, From Hoarding to Hope: Understanding People Who Hoard and How to Help Them
- Geralin’s second book, Decluttering Your Home: Tips, Techniques and Trade Secrets
- GTGE Episode 12, Procrastination
- GTGE Episode 49, Getting Started
- Website of Nora Brown, who designed Janine’s website and created her brand identity: Nora Brown Design