Overthinking anything–but especially our goals–is really easy to do. And those folks with perfectionistic tendencies are particularly susceptible. This week, Shannon and Janine discuss overthinking, particularly as it pertains to end-of-the-year goal setting, and share some of their goal-setting tools as well as techniques for avoiding overthinking.
Discussion topics include:
- Janine’s antidote to overthinking, her mantra, “Let it be easy.”
- The problem with overthinking: you don’t realize you’re doing it until it’s too late (sometimes way too late)
- How Janine overthought her year-end planning last year and ended up with less-clear goals
- How perfectionism can make it easy to overthink
- Shannon’s bon vivant year
- How Janine tries to set herself up for success: Step away from overthinking and keep things as simple as possible
- The PowerSheets goal setting planner Janine (and then Shannon!) purchased
- Starting out simple and making things (like goal planning and filing) only as complex as required
- The power of a Word of the Year
- How letting go of the idea that there’s a perfect way to do something can help you let go of overthinking
- The importance of taking action rather than pondering
- How Shannon tries not to overthink her daily cartooning practice (because it doesn’t help!)
Here’s the cartoon Shannon created of her enjoying California flowers and sun
View this post on Instagram
- PowerSheets Intentional Goal Planner
- Our Good Enough Goal Setting kit
- Christine Kane’s Word of the Year tool
5 thoughts on “Episode 84: Overthinking”
I have taken Janine’s mantra, “Let It Be Easy,” to heart this year. Whenever I find myself overthinking something, overdoing a task, or trying to be perfect at anything, I say, “Let It Be Easy,” out loud It helps take away a lot of the innate drive to overdo whatever it is. I haven’t had a chance to do my goal-setting day this year yet–just too much going on. I hope to take the time to do it on Monday. I am interested in the flotation tank but will probably just settle for a swim at the local Y. Here’s to a Happy New Year and a Happy New Decade to you both and to your loyal listeners! (And yes, I know, the calendar nerds say the decade doesn’t start until the end of this year, but I say, fuhgeddabout it.)
Christy, it makes me very happy that “Let It Be Easy” has helped you! (This is Janine writing.) I hope your goal setting went well and that you have a wonderful 2020!!
I have been listening to the podcast almost every day over the holidays and am totally caught up with it now. I started listening a few months ago. It has really been helpful for me in a lot of ways, but I still have a hard time “pulling the pin” and getting things done. I have used the timer technique a few times , but I still get anxious when I go to start something and think that I can only work on it if it is going to be perfect. I’ve been doing genealogy for a few years and that’s where I can get overwhelmed. Also, cleaning my house is the WORST for me, although through listening to the podcast I’ve been able to feel happy with little bits that get done, even though there is still so much to clean. Anyway, I just wanted to know that I really enjoy listening to you guys. Oh and overthinking is totally a problem for me! Take care! Catherine
Catherine, thank you so much for your comment! It’s wonderful knowing that the podcast has been helpful. Best wishes for lots of ease and fun in the new year.