Giving yourself permission to fail can make it easier for you to succeed. This week Janine and Shannon take a deep dive into this liberating concept, one that was pretty foreign to happy-go-lucky Janine.
Discussion topics include:
- Janine’s “good enough” perspective on failure
- Whether failure is within your control
- How, for perfectionists, failure can feel more imminent and threatening
- Changing your perception of what is failure
- The value of viewing everything as a practice
- How those who embrace the mindset that it’s okay to fail are more likely to succeed
- The impact of shifting your definition of success
- How Shannon applied this to her first solo climb of a mountain
- Setting yourself up so that trying = success
- Are there yoga competitions? (Answer: yes)
- Giving yourself permission to fail enough times to get you where you want to go
- How choosing to stop doing something is a success, not failure
- Making an agreement with yourself to do something that’s doable to make success easier
- Shannon’s blog posts about no failure, only feedback, her first solo mountain climb and how to fall.
3 thoughts on “Episode 44: Permission to Fail”
I love your podcast! I’ve been listening to them for a few months now, and I always learn something.
This one on permission to fail was especially freeing for me! I love how you defined success and failure, and I am changing my mindset going forward to adopt your philosophy! I am very excited to put it into practice.
Thank you both so much for continuing to share your insights with all of us. Your podcasts are a highlight of my week, and I make sure I can close my door, and give 100% focus to listening to what you have to share.
What a lovely comment, Beverly! Thank you! We’re so glad that you find the podcast so helpful.
I really love the Japanese saying, “Fall down seven times, stand up eight.” Having been a perfectionist all my life, there have been many times where I didn’t stand up even the once. If I didn’t think I could do something perfectly, I wouldn’t even try it. Think of all I have missed out on with this mindset. In one of the links in the show notes, there’s a great quote by Thomas Edison. I am going to try one thing this week that I have never tried before. I am going to adopt the mindset that just “standing on the porch” is success enough for me. Thanks for the great podcast!