Now that the holidays are over, it’s a good idea to focus on taking care of yourself. This week Janine and Shannon discuss the importance of self care and what that means for them.
Discussion topics include:
The fact that self care means something different to everyone
Shannon and Janine’s favorite self-care activities
The joy of floating in a flotation tank
The importance of creating time for self care (whatever that means to you)
Shannon’s idea for making exercise feel like self care when it usually doesn’t
Taking away the barriers to taking care of yourself
Making sure that your treats (like shopping) are actually good self care
- Quiet reading or nice walks as self care (Shannon)
Crafting with friends as self care (Janine)
How Janine and her brother practiced self care by gorging on pot stickers in Walla Walla
Belly laughs as self care
- A New York Times article about journaling as self care
- A wonderful round up in the New York Times about what self care means for different people
- Janine’s go-to belly laugh video: BBC interview is interrupted
- Another favorite from Janine: cats playing patty cake
- Shannon’s F-bomb-laden-but-hilarious cat video weird-looking stray cat – NSFW!
- Another favorite of both Shannon and Janine: More Cowbell
And finally, as promised, here’s a picture of Janine, her father Gene, and our waiter, Steve, at Shiki Hibachi Sushi on Main Street in Walla Walla, Washington. You can see the dish of potstickers (pork gyoza) in front of Steve. Delicious!