Virtually everyone procrastinates at one time or another. In fact, Shannon and Janine used to be terrible procrastinators. In this episode we take a look at the various reasons people procrastinate and offer up some strategies for overcoming procrastination.
Discussion topics include:
- How procrastination differs from waiting or postponing
- The four productivity blocks (i.e. reasons you procrastinate) that Shannon has identified:
- Strategies for overcoming each of these blocks
- How to learn what your particular productivity block is
- How fear fits into the procrastination picture
- A productivity hack for those who have a tendency to put off making appointments
- A debate over the historic length of Shannon’s hair
- Shannon’s Less Angst, More Action anti-procrastination quiz
- Shannon’s blog post, If I’m Cleaning, I Must Have a Big Project
- Shannon’s blog post on “just-in-time” production, Revisiting: the Structure of Procrastination
Comment from Janine: As promised, here’s a picture of Shannon with shorter hair. It was taken in February 2005 (we were together at the awards banquet of the Dog Writers Association of America) and Shannon had started growing it out a year before. We’ve been friends since 2001, so clearly, I knew her with short hair, even if I don’t remember!