Negotiations can be difficult when one person is a perfectionist and the other isn’t. In this episode, Shannon and Janine address a question from a listener who is trying to work with an imperfectionist neighbor to replace a fence between their yards.
Discussion topics include:
- The gifts that our pets give us
- The challenges of maximizers working with satisficers
- How Shannon and her neighbor dealt with a similar situation through clear communication and knowing what was important to them
- The value of thinking through what really matters and writing them down
- Another fence situation Shannon had with a different neighbor that also hinged on clear communication
- Recognizing when entering negotiations with people of differing sensibilities that you can’t expect to get 100% of what you want
- Knowing the top two or three things that are most important to you and communicating them up front
- Shannon’s advice to write down your top concerns, but not hide behind the written word
- Would you rather be right or happy?
- Communicating from a place of kindness
- Finding out what’s important to the other person so everyone’s needs are met